Friday, June 23, 2006

Quick Hits

Overheard at the Supercuts this afternoon:

"I kicked that guy with both feet. Kicked him so hard he almost did a backflip. Then he got up and punched me, and it was the right kind of punch. That was it."

***

Say, how long will ESPN contiue to flat-out ignore the MMA world? How about your local sports page? Do they think it's scripted or something? This sport is drawing big numbers--surely a buck would lure them in if nothing else. At least Fox Sports is dabbling in Pride broadcasts.

(Yes, I know that ESPN Classic airs some 15-year-old kickboxing/Muay Thai bouts... I don't have Dish, so I don't get to watch much.)

1 comment:

Geoff said...

ESPN ignores all of the combat sports, you never see anything about boxing, collegiatte wrestling etc. And they might not think thats there market, that there just isnt' the general interest out there. But then why do they spend so much time covering hockey? TUF which features young fighters and often bland fights gets between 1.5 and 2 million people a week to tune in. The NHL Championship pulled 800,000 a night, I have no idea what a regular season game gets... Occassionally I'll see the newspapers do a story, there was a feature on Brandon Vera in the Post a few weeks ago and the NY Times had something today that I haven't read yet, but its still not regular coverage...