Friday, June 02, 2006

RAAAAAWK!

It’s late Friday afternoon.

It’s been a pretty good day here, a nice blend of getting’ stuff done and taking it easy. I’ve found another job listing with MHMR that really appeals to me. I’m getting pretty good at their application now, and I’ve put together my stuff to turn in Monday morning.

***

Current music that’s rockin’ my world:


Lowrider, Ode to Io. Big fuzz, and riffs that’d make a pachyderm tremble.

Candi Staton (s/t). How in the WORLD has she not become huge at some point?

Ty Tabor, Moonflower Lane. King’s X may be on the ropes, but I imagine Ty can put together a good solo career based on what he’s already accomplished. Good tunes, good melodies.

Wolfmother, s/t. White Stripes meet Led Zeppelin--RAAAAAWK!


Not so much:


Massive Attack. I dunno… cool sounds I guess, but I can’t help but think that Kelli and I could whip out something like this with a sequencer and a 4-track in about an afternoon, you know?


The jury is still out on:


The Lobi Traore Group. I imagine this’ll captivate me at some point. I’m eager for more straight-up African stuff. Just got to spin it more.


***

God help me, I’m going to the super-intensive Friday kickboxing/Krav Maga drills class in a bit.

***

Ya’ll have a good evening.

***

UPDATE: This post didn't appear in a timely manner for some reason. Anyway, the kickboxing class was GREAT. Ah, I was good and strong, endurance was terrific, form was good... that was my best crack yet at a very hard class. I'm very pleased.

And now I'm full of Tex Mex. Happy happy happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Candi Staton (s/t). How in the WORLD has she not become huge at some point?"

***She apparently had a big hit single in the late 70s with a disco song called "Young Hearts Run Free." I've never heard it, though.

"Ty Tabor, Moonflower Lane. King’s X may be on the ropes, but I imagine Ty can put together a good solo career based on what he’s already accomplished. Good tunes, good melodies."

***I'm diggin' this one a lot myself. Very much of a piece with his King's X work like "It's Love" and "The Difference."

"Massive Attack. I dunno… cool sounds I guess, but I can’t help but think that Kelli and I could whip out something like this with a sequencer and a 4-track in about an afternoon, you know?"

***I dunno...there are a ton of electro bands out there that aren't anywhere near as captivating as MA. It's hard work creating that much of an atmosphere of dread.

"The Lobi Traore Group. I imagine this’ll captivate me at some point. I’m eager for more straight-up African stuff. Just got to spin it more."

***I found this as easily accessible as Femi Kuti, but maybe I'm just used to the way Africans make music at this point. It's a whole different mindset than us Northern crackers.

***Agree about Wolfmother. They're so much fun to hear. I missed them at SXSW, but hope to catch 'em at some point.

Michael