Thursday, June 01, 2006

Everybody Was Krav Maga Fighting

Random fact: After Krav Maga one night I accidentally cleaned my cup with Lysol Basin, Tub and Tile Cleaner.

(I can hear Whit laughing already...)

***

Pretty good day here I suppose. I had a job interview this morning. I didn't feel sharp, didn't really bring my "A" game, I'm afraid, but they seemed to like me anyway. I was there quite a long time.

***

Kelli's learned a new "headlock" defense in Krav Maga. She's demonstrated it on me twice now, and each time I thought she'd snap my dang nose... tap tap tap...

***

This week I'm attending more kickboxing than Krav Maga. It's just how the schedule's worked out for us, and that's fine. After the lame class I had last night, I was pretty pleased to go in tonight and do much better. The combinations flowed, Sensei had a couple compliments for me, I worked hard... good stuff.

Tomorrow night is the killer cardio krav/kickboxing class I've been attending. I imagine I'll go.

***

So it finally happened: THEBOY had a little scrap with some kid at school.

The story, as we understand it:

The kid (who is 6 or 7 we're told) was fooling around, and kicked a seated THEBOY in the back of the head twice "accidentally."

THEBOY stood up to protest, and the kid got in his face.

THEBOY has never cared for that crap.

So he hit the kid in the throat with a forearm. Bullseye. "I'm telling!" the kid said.

One timeout for THEBOY.

***

It's a funny line to walk, you know? How do you instill into a child so young the idea that it's okay to defend oneself, but really it's best to avoid a fight if at all possible? This is one that's going to take time to convey I suppose.

It's another reason I'd like to get him into a good martial arts program, someplace with instructors who emphasize how important it is to rely on confidence and skill to AVOID a fight.

***

What THEBOY did was kind of borderline I'd say. We told him he is not in trouble for it as far as we're concerned. I don't intend to give him license to start throwing forearms and elbows. But he was hurt, and when he protested to this kid the result was a threatening behavior. I think THEBOY thought they were already fighting at that point. Maybe.

I'll be mulling this one over for a while.

***

Headed to the Houston/Angleton area next week. I do believe that Whit, with his years upon years of martial arts training, wants to "spar" with me, a yellow belt in Krav Maga.

This ought to be amusing.

***

Ya'll take care.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Whip his ass Whit!

:-)

BB said...

Having a good laugh here... laughing my ass off!