Friday, June 23, 2006

Update from Caffeine Central

Had another one of those crazy dreams in Spanish. Happens once in a while. I don't remember much, except the last line:

"Hay alguien aqui quien habla ingles? Yo puedo hacer esto mucho mejor en ingles."

Translation:

"Is there someone here who speaks English? I can do this much better in English."

***

Yesterday I truly acted like an unemployed guy. That is, I didn't get a whole heck of a lot done. I took two naps. Two! I did make some headway towards undoing my school financial aid cluster****, supposedly. We'll see.

I attended a pair of KM classes. At the lunchtime class I got another stripe.

(Applause)

Thank you, thank you. Please remain seated.

Did I mention that Kelli got her first stripe Wednesday? I've exaggerated this tale, I think, to some folks. But she tells me that her somewhat giddy response to getting the stripe prompted a grinning "Oh GOD" response from Sensei as she received it.

I find this quite amusing.

***

Gotta say, I'm having a change of heart about attending BJJ. I'm not even sure I can say why. I think I'll stick with Krav Maga and kickboxing for the foreseeable future.

I just... I can't get comfortable in there. No one's fault but my own. Maybe I'll tackle it in earnest someday.

***

It's been a good day so far. Kelli and I hit Starbucks. I've currently got enough caffeine in me to fuel the next unmanned Mars mission.

***

I'd still like for anyone who is interested to share: What changed your life? What moment/incident/epiphany altered the course of your life?

2 comments:

Geoff said...

I've written about this a couple of times...

Geoff was here.: An inevitable dash of pretension.

Anonymous said...

Marriage definitely had a profound change on my life, but I'd say the adoption of my oldest daughter and the birth of my youngest daughter were the biggest changes in my life. Knowing that I was ultimately responsible for two little munchkins made me want to be a better person.

The one incident that I can remember changing my life happened in the spring of 1988. I had dropped out of college, moved back home, and was just kinda shuffling about. I started working at Dow for a local contractor and starting doing some truly shitty jobs for the very short (two day) period I was there. I had been working with a welder, spraying water on the sparks to keep the Dow plant from blowing up, and it hit me: "Bruiser, it's time to get your shit together and go back to college or you're going to be putting up with this kinda bullshit for the rest of your life." I walked over to the road, caught a ride to the Dow gate with a secretary, and never looked back.

Bruiser