Thursday, August 04, 2005

Gee Brian, Why Didn't You Sleep Much?

Thanks for asking.

Wasn’t exactly a great evening in our household.

We put THEGIRL down at 8pm, and she cried until 11p. She seemed a little congested, but nothing awful, and she’d certainly managed to play and scoot around the house in a chipper mood before bedtime.

Kelli hit the sheets at 11pm, and I told myself I'd wait until the baby stopped crying. I HATE just lying there, listening to the crying and wishing I could sleep. As I learned when both my kids were infants, I do better just staying up.

At 11:30 or so I decided it's safe.

11:40 or so, of course, she resumed. I listened to the crying, wishing I could sleep...

Kelli got up around midnight I guess, and I slept a bit. I know she brought the baby in the bed with us for a while. Around 3am, I think, she put the baby back in the crib.

3:15 and THEBOY yelled for us, as he said he's scared. I walked in exhibiting BAD form. I went face-first into his pillow and nearly fell asleep with a Hulk figure jabbing my cheek. He asked, "Why are you sleeping on my bed?" I could barely talk... "Uh... you're, uh... scared?" I turned on every light in his room and left. It was brighter than Reno in there. Anyone driving by at that ungodly hour probably thought our house was about to implode a la the climax in Poltergeist.

15 minutes later he was yelling again... he couldn’t find one of the two baby blankets he still clutches when he sleeps. I went off on him, telling him to LET US SLEEP, and that we're tired of that. God, he'll yell at all hours of the night because his music's too quiet, can't find his blanket, rolled over on a toy...

I was furious, and then got to lie in bed fuming for an hour.

I have my psych final tonight, and all I could do was worry about how taking the test EXHAUSTED will affect my performance. Reasonably, I think I know the material well enough, and probably won’t do worse than a B.

I explained to THEBOY this morning that, pretty much, we don’t want him yelling for us overnight unless he’s bleeding out of the eyeballs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an evening at our house. Last night's highlight was: huge cockroaches! I sprayed 2 of them, the last of which scurried off toward the bedrooms. Kids were both in bed, and I was not about to wake them up to look for the bugger. Soon after, Aaron got up to the bathroom. I decided to turn on the light in his room and found it, still alive and kicking. He was quite excited by all of this, which really isn't a great thing for a 4-year-old at 11pm.

Amazingly, Maddie slept through all of this and I got SIX consecutive hours of sleep last night!