Thursday, August 11, 2005

Whoa!

Okay, I’m done with my third-rate political rants for now.

***

Whoa! Snopes hasn’t yet determined whether this is a hoax, but I will say that the details in the story are all correct. West Columbia happens to be in my home county, and Bar X Ranch and FM 521 are notable landmarks in the area. There could certainly be a bit of forced perspective at work in the positioning of the alligator and the policeman, but there are indeed such critters (gators and policemen, nyuk nyuk) in the area.

***

THEBOY'S teacher saw a Who shirt in the mall, and wants to buy it for him. She asked me yesterday, and she was pretty sweet and timid about it, obviously mindful of crossing some protocol line. She said he sings their songs and talks about them all the time, but in fact, she has no idea who he’s talking about.

She also told me a couple times that the shirt is at Hot Topic, which sounds only vaguely familiar. She gave the impression that WHERE the shirt is might be of concern to me. Man, it’s not run by Ted Nugent or something, is it?

Very sweet of her though, seriously. I told her she didn’t have to do it, and she said, “I like him.”

***

Yes, studliness skipped a generation in my family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot Topic is a clothing store aimed mainly at teenagers into goth, nu-metal and mall punk. I suppose there are probably some T-shirts that have some profanity or suggestiveness on them, but I doubt the Who shirt (which I'm shocked Hot Topic carries) is one of them.

This teacher must be fairly young. I think it's funny that you're not familiar with Hot Topic and she's not familiar with the Who (and the four-year-old is).

I have a couple of T-shirts from Hot Topic, actually. Georgina gave me a Green Lantern shirt from them a few years ago (prompting lots of folks to ask me to recite the Green Lantern pledge, which I don't know beyond "In bright day in blackest night/No evil shall escape my sight...mumble, mumble...") and a H.I.M. shirt, which I bought just because I knew the band's symbol (a heartagram, which is exactly what you think it is) would piss off the more spiritually sensitive among us. I've had only one person tell me I'm going to Hell, though.

Michael

Anonymous said...

By the way, it's certainly possible for an alligator to grow to that large a size, though I've never heard of one near a town getting that big. However, that picture does look like it's playing with perspective a bit. Hard to tell.

Michael

BB said...

In fact... maybe some of you other Brazoria County natives can help me out here, but the cop in the photo is identified as having the last name Goff, and I seem to recall that there are a lot of Goffs down there. Ring a bell to anyone?

Anonymous said...

I've bought a couple of shirts at Hot Topic - The Smith's "The Queen Is Dead" and The Police's "Reggatta de Blanc" - and have seen a really cool Siouxsie shirt there, but most of their other shirts are Good Charlotte/A Chemical Romance type BS. I went in HT one day and they were pumping out The Cramps over their stereo - I complimented the saleslady on the choice in music and she could not believe I knew who it was. I guess I was not dressed "punk" enough...

Funny, but most of the Goffs I know in the Angleton area are on the other side of the law.

Bruiser