Sunday, August 14, 2005

Weekend Wrapup

Busy day, busy day.

I made the mistake I so often do of staying up until about 1:30am this morning. I was futzing around with iTunes, burning CDs and such. God I love to be up late.

But 7:30 found me awake, listening to some oddball whistling sound. I got up, owing Kelli a “sleep in” morning. I was bleary-eyed, my head hurt, and Kelli asked why I was getting up. I told her it was because the King of the Pan Flute was awake. I figured THEBOY was blowing some sort of whistle in bed.

Kelli thought it was a bird, which I didn’t buy for a second. I tried to clear the cobwebs, threw a tin of biscuits in the oven and went to talk to THEBOY about making noise while I’m sleeping.

He was out. Dang. Guess it was some bird or something.

I let the biscuits do their thing, put them on the counter and crashed on the couch for about an hour. Thank GOD the kids slept in. I woke up feeling better, ready to face the morning.

***

When THEBOY did come wake me up, he was nude from the waist down, having had a little accident. He was holding a change of clothes, though it was all winter stuff. We went into his room, and he showed me with great pride how he’d stood on his step-stool and used his toy robot arm to get the shirts down.

***

Kelli had an Arbonne wingding at 1pm, leaving me with the kids all afternoon. I was worried that we’d get the call to show the house while she was away, and sure enough we did. The voice on the other end said the agent wanted to come by in about 20 minutes. The baby was napping, Kevin and I were lunching and the house needed work. I told her such short warning was unreasonable. They postponed for an hour.

***

I tore through this place like a twister through a trailer park. Kitchen, study, living room, Kevin’s room… our bedroom was in good shape at least (thank you, Kelli). I zipped the kids out of the house 70 minutes after initial phone call, promising them we’d go somewhere special for a treat.

Eh, it was Sam’s Club. I had film to drop off. At least they had cookies for the kids.

***

After Kelli returned I went to work out, implementing an interval training method Whit sent me.

I’ve only been working out for a week, but my workouts never left me feeling like I’d accomplished much. 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer and I still had plenty in the tank, so to speak.

Not so after this interval approach. Whoa! Will spare you the details, but basically, four times in 20 minutes you’re going almost all out.

Let me tell you, by that fourth time tonight I was ready to throw in the towel, or at least use the towel to clean up what George Carlin calls “an involuntary protein spill.”

I got through it though, and finally felt like I'd had a workout that meant something. I came home a promptly fell asleep face-down on the living room floor.

***

Whoa… Intervention (on A&E) tonight… meth addict Sara, very hooked, combative, and just about bailed on the intervention, just about chucked it all. But her friend Redding, a recovering meth addict himself, made a surprise appearance and managed to persuade her. Gripping stuff.

***

Four months later she’s clean, has a job, and smiles for the first time in the show.

***

Yes, that's what I want to do for a living--the helping addicts part, not the drug-taking part. Daunting, but invigorating and exciting, and much more meaningful than rearranging commercials for a living.

***

THEGIRL is a joy to be around these days. Chipper, learning new words and generally a happy little camper. She’s making great strides with spoons and forks, and it seems like she’s got a new word every other day (today it was “apple”). And she’s also been going to bed without a peep, which is a huge plus.

***

This week I register for school. Kelli does too. Lots up in the air, lots of decisions being made on the fly, new scenarios to consider. We do ask ourselves sometimes just what we’ve gotten ourselves into, but you know, we’ll make it work.

No comments: