Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Mind Engages

Well, it finally happened: I have a boring-ass textbook in one of my classes. Dang.

Psychological Personality Testing (by some guys I really don’t care enough about to drag the book out of my bag at the moment) is a snoozefest. Had to happen at some point I guess. Did you know the Rorschach “inkblot” test originated in some jerkwater European country in the 1920s? Yeeeeah… me neither. Did you care? Me neither.

But that’s some of the stuff the book covers.

Oh, you know, we’ll get into methodology and validity and reliability and all sorts of “ogy” and “ity” concepts at some point. The prof is interesting from what I can tell, so hopefully this won’t be the beating that my stats class was.

***

Our search for a new Friday night Tex Mex restaurant continues. Last night was Esparza’s, which is in Euless or Bedford. Good location, good atmosphere, family joint, good service… and so-so food. Dang. Kelli’s food was so spicy it nearly caused her hair to burst into flames, and my enchiladas verdes had only a thin layer of oven-dehydrated salsa. Chicken was a tad dry… fudge! The search continues.

***

Dad and Charlene gave me a NICE wad of cash for my birthday. I have been genuinely perplexed about what to use it for though. My first thought was to buy THEBOY a bicycle, and I’ll do so next weekend.

That won’t eat up all the cash though. Here I am in shorts in August, and I must admit that I’m tempted to buy yet another jacket. It’s odd for a guy, I know… but I love jackets. I have a lot, like 15 maybe. I do believe that’s a lot for a guy, especially a straight one. But there’s an art to proper insulation in winter (and proper ventilation in summer, conversely). I’ve got rough temperature ranges for each jacket, and you know, a guy needs some wardrobe flexibility.

SO, I’ve forever wanted a ¾ length black leather jacket. It’d be bitchin’! But I scored a great navy pea coat last winter that effectively serves the same function. I keep saying, “I don’t need another jacket” to Kelli, but I’m never sure if that’s a statement or a question.

***

What I might do instead of getting the jacket is to hit my Amazon wish list and wipe out a bunch of it. God I’d love to order great fistfuls of the stuff it’d ordinarily take me years to buy. Blues CDs, books, DVDs… heck, there’s a rare Soundgarden live VHS currently available (and for a good price), and I’ll kick myself if I miss a chance to get my hands on that.

***

Class went well this morning. ‘Twas lifespan development. 20 or so women and ME. Ladies, ladies, no fighting… (just kidding).

The prof seems like an agreeable sort, the students I’ve spoken to in there seem to be bright, and I think we’ll have a good time. That particular textbook hasn’t arrived in the mail yet.

I will have six papers to write for that class. I’ll have a lot to write for the other class as well. It will be a busy semester for sure.

***

Tomorrow, well, I’m not sure what we’ll do. Kelli took a tremendous nap this afternoon, and awoke promising me I’d get to sleep in tomorrow. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t. You know how it goes. Just a matter of whether some little thing wakes me up and the mind engages. Or I get “Kokomo” stuck in my head.

***

Have a terrific weekend.

No comments: