Monday, August 01, 2005

Sniff Sniff...

A nice feature on my man Anders Parker.

***

I’ve said it before, and I’ll probably say it again: Air fresheners in restrooms should not utilize food scents. It happened at BACS, and it happens here. I walk in and am hit with strawberry or worse, VANILLA. That’s just wrong.

***

I dreamed I could fly, a recurring theme throughout my life.

I sailed effortlessly over a bay, and in the clear water I could see big, silver fish scattered about.

***

In the same dream I won some money at a poker game. Let me just say that the flying bit is much more likely to ever occur in reality.

***

Rafael Palmeiro has tested positive for steroids. This is the player who most vehemently denied ever using them when he and those other players appeared before Congress.

He now amends his statements to include “intentionally,” and thus we’re expected to conclude—since he never says it in so many words—that among the many supplements and training aids he takes, something slipped in that he didn’t know was/contained steroids.

His language is clear and strong, and he talks about the No Tolerance Committee work he’s done, and how this needs to be an example of what can still happen if one isn’t careful enough.

I really don’t know what to think. I like Raffy, but… if an athlete is serious enough about his/her profession to use supplements, isn’t this person compelled to be thorough? Steroids are a huge issue in professional sports. The tox screen for ‘roids is either picking up something players don’t think is a steroid, or the players are full of crap.

***

I think the clock is slow…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice story on Parker. I always wondered if there was a quid pro quo thing going on with Ehrbar.

That second (and final) Space Needle record is really good. Ehrbar seems to have pretty much retired, though, outside of playing on Parker's solo records. I hope he hasn't given up on his own music.

Another artist in the Ehrbar axis who was kind of similar to Parker/Varnaline was Sean Thompson, who recorded under the name Long River Train. He made two LRT records and one self-released solo acoustic record, then disappeared. Parker seems to be the only one who's stuck it out.

Totally agree with you on the bathroom scents. When I worked at Bookstop, we contracted a company to clean our bathrooms for us, and they came in and put some sort of scented polish all over the entire bathrooms, which they refurbished once a week. It was supposed to smell like strawberries, but instead gave off a sickly-sweet smell, like melting candy or something. I always came back from a bathroom break slightly nauseous. The only time the bathrooms were tolerable were the couple of days before the company came in to re-spray. Ugh.

Michael