Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Leaning Into the Strike Zone...

I take great pride in my friends, ya'll. I feed off of the diversity. I absolutely love culture and social psychology and different perspectives. I have a policy of not completely dismissing anyone for any behavior that's not harmful.

Among my friends I can count Christians of countless denominations, pagans, atheists, Jews, pacifists, martial arts experts, gays, straights, men, women, addicts, varied ethnicities and a broad range of political bents.

I find that I can be genuine, noncommittal, empathetic and supportive of everyone. If I don't agree with something you profess or do, I can usually understand your motivation, and hell, I don't have all the answers.

I try not to get very political though. My first-ever political bumpersticker during the last presidential election got me flipped off numerous times and berated by strangers.

(My Longhorns sticker gets me the occasional bird too, but no one seems to care about my Texas Wesleyan sticker.)

***

Our president told us we were going to war with Iraq because the tyrant running that country, Saddam Hussein, possessed or was making "weapons of mass destruction."

He did not. We were told that intelligence backed up the president's claim. Obviously, this was incorrect.

Bush was either misinformed and is holding no one accountable for this egregious error, or he lied to us all.

Clinton was no saint, but he got impeached for receiving fellatio. These are confusing times.

Yes, Hussein was awful. No doubt. Killer, tyrant, all that. And if we'd found the WMDs, I'd have joined in, glad to have disarmed him.

I was as devastated by 9/11 as everyone else, and don't think it didn't cross my mind to enlist (I'm now too old). I'm not against defending this nation against any threat, or toppling some psycho dictator pointing the products of his jerkwater country's nuke program at us or our allies.

So we've gone guns a-blazin' into Iraq and created nothing but the kind of chaotic environment the actual terrorists thrive in. Seems that bin Laden and his "booger-eatin' pack of moron thugs" didn't give a damn about Iraq until we showed up.

Vietnam lasted how long? Yeah... longer than some folks realize, I'd imagine. Here I sit with a kid of nearly five, and let me tell you, I think a dozen years will pass faster than I'd care for.

Parents, do you want your child's blood potentially spilled for THIS?

This hurts. Write rebuttals, call me names, flip me off, whatever. Speaking out on politics always burns me anyway. But I just do not see how in the world there is any support for this war. I hold great respect for the office of the president, but he's likely to be either the worst president I'll see in my lifetime or the start of a long line of rulers getting progressively more dictator-like in this nation.

To those of you who are never going to speak to me again, please return the CDs I lent you.

Salud,

Briscoe

***

Subject: Tell your friends: Support Cindy Sheehan

MoveOn is taking out an ad in President Bush's local newspaper in support of Cindy Sheehan, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq who is camped outside Bush's ranch in Texas asking for a meeting with the president. They'll publish the number of signers and the best comments in a full two-page spread in the newspaper nearest to Crawford (The Waco Tribune Herald) while Cindy holds her vigil. Can you sign and spread the word before the 3:00 PM Friday print deadline?

http://political.moveon.org/meetwithcindy/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A case could be made that the Iraq War was necessary because Hussein needed to be punished for ignoring the UN sanctions. After all, UN edicts don't have any power unless the organization is willing to back them up. I don't necessarily agree with this theory, but it holds more water than the ones Bush has pushed.

Regardless of whether or not one thinks the Iraq War was necessary, however, it seems to me that most folks should be appalled at the Bush Administration's conduct during it. They've lied repeatedly about the reasons for it, have done a crap job on the military front, and refuse to take responsibility for their mistakes. I'd assume even the most diehard right-winger would take exception to all this.

Michael