Tuesday, August 30, 2005

WWL in New Orleans

That's a Belo-owned station. This message was sent from a WWL employee to WCNC (Charlotte, NC), then to BACS in Dallas. A friend of mine there sent it to me. I don't know Brad, but I worked with WWL staff on numerous occasions.

***

The station and I had to abandon WWL station in new orleans due to levee breach this morning. the 17th stree canal levee has failed and the flood waters of Lake Ponchartrain are spilling into the city, even the downtown. We are currently at the transmitter buiding in gretna, la on the west back of the ms river. We are high and dry, but little to no communications. Landlines are down and cells are failing as the towers generators and battery back-ups fail. Am safe but food and water becoming very scarce, even for us. We areselfs are going into employees home we can reach for supplies. No running sewage anymore, we had to dig a field pit for a bathroom. Don't worry we have help coming and KHOU is flying their helicopter the city. Still no word from Slidell, MS gulf coast or parts south of New olreans.

Take care and I'll call ASAP!

Brad


***

My thoughts and prayers are with the residents of that fine city and the surrounding areas.

***

My own grandmother, in fact, lives across the lake from New Orleans in Ponchatoula. I'm told she evacuated over the weekend, Tennessee-bound. I hope she's safe and that we get an update soon. It's a lot for an 84-year-old woman to have to endure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what these poor folks are going through. Interesting to read a dispatch. I hope the N'awlins folks make it through this OK, loss of homes and belongings notwithstanding.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Cindy's been giving me a good perspective on the things happening in N.O. - she lived there for eight years. One of the levees ran behind their home.

My heart broke today when I saw the 5 day-old little girl they were trying to help...