Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hey Man, is that Freedom Rock?

“I’m drinkin’ TNT, I’m smokin’ dynamite… I hope some schoolboy start a fight…”

Muddy Waters, “I’m Ready”

***

Heard Pat Travers’ “Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)” this morning. Clever little song, fun and all, but how would you like to be saddled with one lowest-rung classic rock hit that you’ve gotta march out for at each gig the rest of your career (yes, he’s still out there touring)?

Some others:

Billy Thorpe – “Children of the Sun”
Rick Derringer – “Rock ‘n’ Roll Hoochie Koo” (Purely guessing on the spelling there)
Dave Mason – “We Just Disagree” Some of you have heard me talk about this guy before. Somehow this song keeps showing up in album rock playlists, and it’s pleasant enough and all, but do radio PMs REALLY think there’s any listener out there going, “All RIIIIIIIGHT! It’s that DAVE MASON song!!”
Steppenwolf – Okay, so they’ve got a handful of hits. 35+ years after their release, how would you like to still be doing “Born to be Wild” or “Magic Carpet Ride” at every gig?

How would you like to be in some resurrected version of, believe or not, the DOORS… oh wait, I guess Ian Astbury actually WOULD like that.

(Can that really be a bigger paycheck than the Cult? And by the way, why DOES every classic rock station play “Fire Woman” about once an hour anyway?)

Or hell, how would you like to have a kickass catalog anyway, but still have that one… song… that you’re sick to death of, but still have to play at every show, like Motorhead doing “Ace of Spades”…?

And I’m one of the brainless masses who still want to hear it.

***

I still enjoy Foghat’s cover of Muddy Waters’ “I Just Want to Make Love to You” though. Sounds like it was recorded in a closet. Those guys were a hoot.

***

And I think I’ve got an ex in common with, uh, the whole band. Don’t ask.

***

The Rangers won a game!

Now please, John Hart, will you TRADE ALFONSO SORIANO. I’m tired of his defensive lapses and his tendency to stand at the plate and admire balls that stay in the park. He hits well for Texas, yes. EVERYONE HITS WELL FOR TEXAS.

Send him to the Mets like everyone’s talking about. Sure, I’ll take Mike Cameron, a superb defensive outfielder, in return. And anyone from a peanut vendor on up whom the Mets want to include is fine with me.

Can I help pack Soriano’s bags?

***

The iBook I bought Saturday is already outdated.

***

“They call it ‘stormy Monday,’ and Tuesday’s just as bad…” T-Bone Walker

2 comments:

Geoff said...

Turn it up man!

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I never hear the Cult around here. I thought they'd become non-entities at classic rock radio.

You know, I'd probably really like the Cult if they had a different singer.

And be fair to Dave Mason...he can switch off to playing his other hit "Only You Know and I Know." So he's got two tunes to worry to death over the course of 30 years. Kinda like Steppenwolf.

Michael