Sunday, July 24, 2005

Stressing and Obsessing

A few years ago, when Japanese sensation Ichiro Suzuki first started to make his presence known with the Mariners, I found myself curious to see whether I might be able to buy a Japanese baseball jersey. They've got some crazy team names (Orix Blue Wave comes immediately to mind), so I thought I might find a conversation piece.

But as it turned out, finding any listings for Japanese baseball jerseys for sale was difficult. And when I found them, they tended to only be available in fairly small sizes.

Finally I found a site listing one in my size. I considered it for a moment, but then realized that, for reasons I'm not quite tacky enough to spell out here, I didn't want to appear anyplace in public wearing a jersey for the Yakult Swallows.

***

Speaking of which, I'm now using my new iBook G4. Kelli got a Powerbook as well, so you can imagine the sticker shock. I'm only moments into messing around with this. I will be glad to have the portability. I intend to take notes on this gizmo in classes.

***

THEBOY'S first sleepover went very well. He crashed at Sterling's place last night. They had snacks, watched movies, stayed up late, took a bath, etc. THEBOY spent the night in Sterling's bed when, in fact, Sterling bailed overnight to sleep with his mother.

When Sterling and Heather woke up this morning, THEBOY was sitting in the living room, having a conversation with their cat. I never got confirmation on whether the cat participated much.

***

It's been a pretty good weekend here I suppose. I mowed the grass this morning. 86 degrees with no wind and high humidity felt far worse than our usual 100 degree days. Sweat was getting in my eyes, dripping off my nose... ugh. But the yard looks good.

***

I've spent a lot of time busting my butt to get my psych research paper done by Monday. It's supposed to be 10 pages, and I've written seven. I feel pretty good about the length requirement, but after getting a bloody 40 on my journal I find myself stressing and obsessing over the details, wondering if I'm doing what she wants.

This type of paper is actually called a literature review, and it's made me realize that students who have undergrad degrees in psych probably have the advantage of being familiar with this type of paper. But I've got the APA stylebook, and I think I'm knocking out a reasonable facsimile.

***

Kelli had her first Arbonne party Thursday evening. She and Heather hosted one guest, our neighbor Bev. Bless Bev's heart, she's always been up for anything. And she borrowed some of the products, took them home and promptly did NOT announce that she wants to buy any.

No, she announced that she wants to sign on to sell the stuff herself, because she loves it.

***

Not at liberty to say much, but it's come to me through the grapevine that another Belo lackey is about to clean out the ol' desk...

***

Tomorrow I've got to finish the paper. Nothing else really planned. Ya'll have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Christopher Trottier said...

Yikes! That Jersey is craazy.