Monday, July 18, 2005

Ridin’ the Storm Out

Henley and I have been going back and forth about Kenny Rogers for a few days now. It’s nitpicking really… I’m just not quite as upset as everyone else. Yes, what he did was awful, and yes, he deserves everything he gets. I have spent a long time trying to believe in forgiveness, and oddly enough, I feel strangely capable of it where Rogers is concerned.

But when watching him pitch against Oakland over the weekend I realized that still, I’ll never look at him the same way again.

***

Emily is bearing down, headed towards the Texas/Mexico border. Man, I don’t miss sweating out hurricanes every season, let me tell you. My poor family is still down there by the coast, and hurricanes are just a fact of life for them.

We rode out hurricane Alicia when I was in the eighth grade. It wasn’t the worst hurricane, but it was no Sunday stroll either. I stayed up all night from nerves. We were worried that a tree over the den would be blown over. At about three am I heard a loud bang and put my face down on the kitchen table. When I looked up the lights were gone, but the den was intact.

I remember seeing green lightning during that storm.

And KLOL playing “Ridin’ the Storm Out” by REO Speedwagon.

***

Eric Rudolph… I hope somebody punches this guy’s ticket in prison. I don't think my forgiveness could ever extend that far.

***

Ankle is holding up okay. Today it’s bugging me worse than yesterday. And it made me stumble a bit this morning, and THAT made me bloody my pinkie toe on the closet door. I guess I’m lucky they don’t shoot chubby, middle-aged white guys with limps.

***

THEBOY got a new Fantastic Four backpack, and he’s pleased as punch. God I’m a sucker for Marvel stuff, and he knows it. He lectured a total stranger at the store about who they are, emphasizing that Dr. Doom’s a bad guy. She thanked him for the warning and kept walking.

***

He tried to explain to me this morning that Roo (from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons) is the son of Tigger. Hmm…

***

Time killed. Lunch now.

No comments: