Friday, July 22, 2005

Mr. C


From D Magazine's August "Best of Big D" issue ...

BEST TV WEATHER BABE
Kristine Kahanek

Not only is she easy on the eyes, and not only does she steadfastly refuse to wear bow ties, but CBS Channel 11’s Kahanek actually has a degree in atmospheric science—unlike some other TV weather people in town. Plus, when 250 grade-schoolers at the Science Place recently did an experiment, they found Kahanek’s was the most accurate forecast in town. Our outlook calls for mostly brainy, with sporadic sexiness.

***

A startling realization from my trip to the dentist’s office today, watching a couple syndicated Happy Days episodes on the TV hanging over the chair:

The father on the show was named Mr. Cunningham, occasionally called “Mr. C” by the kids.

He owned a hardware store.

In my neighborhood is a hardware store called Mr. C’s.

No wonder I keep seeing Donnie Most and Anson Williams hanging out in the parking lot.

***

Okay, just joking. Actually, the last thing I saw in the parking lot there was a confrontation that just about turned into a brawl. That is, a teenager was standing in the open door of an SUV, squaring off to punch the driver, who was old enough to be his father. Maybe he was.

The SUV drove off, and the teenager stood there gesturing and shouting. I was driving by and didn’t hear what he said.

***

My cleaning took longer than I expected, so I skipped lunch. If you think you’re sensing panic, you’re right… eh, I’ve got change for the snack machine and some trail mix. I’ll make it.

And of course, I’ll be happy to make up the calories (and then some) tonight at Tex Mex.

***

And the clock ticks on…

No comments: