Thursday, July 28, 2005

I Can Hear the Grass Grow

And you know, one of the greatest things about this paper business is that, for the first time in many days, I DON’T HAVE A THING TO DO TONIGHT. I believe I will watch baseball, flip channels, play with the kids, watch the grass grow…

(And suddenly "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" by the Move is going through my head...)

***

First baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, on his 2004 trade from the Twins to the Red Sox. "I walked behind the laundry room, and there was Pedro [Martinez] standing butt naked on my chair saying, 'Welcome.'"

***

Now, I’m fairly happy working here, I really am. God knows it’s 180 degrees different from BACS. So I’m not bashing this station really… I just find this funny…

There was a huge fire this afternoon, visible from the feeder road in front of the station. Though it was miles away, it was making a remarkable plume of smoke, and I could see flames.

Turned on the TV and ours was the only local station not covering it (though we’re the closest to it). In fact, a coworker said she was downstairs, smoking with someone from the newsroom and asked him what all the smoke was. He looked up and said he hadn’t noticed it, that he had no idea…

***

That’s the second time that’s happened since I’ve been here. The first time was an apartment fire I could see from my cubicle.

***

Guess I’d better go over this report, do some work…

No comments: