Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Alternate Milk

Know what I’d like to do? I’d like to assemble an alternate CD of Jellyfish’s 2nd album, Spilt Milk.

I’d like to take demo and live tracks of the Milk songs and put them in the same order as the official release. I want to hear it without the big production. I want to see if I can hear a substantial… difference. I mean, I know it’ll be different. But I want to see if there’s something they achieved that was worth all the hair they pulled out, the studio bills they ran up, and the death of their band, you know?

I haven’t poked around to see if I can really do this. In my mind, I can’t say for sure that there’s an alternate version of “Russian Hill” anywhere. Maybe.

(And I ask myself why I never had many girlfriends as a single man.)

***

DeVotchka is playing South by Southwest in Austin again this year. I’m sure a ton of my favorite artists will be there. And once again, I’ll be in Phoenix, soaking in baseball with Hood.

Not to say that I won’t have a good time, but man… why do I hose myself like this?

***

Current music: “I’m Not Afraid to Die” by Gillian Welch

No comments: