Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Let's Get Lost

I dreamed my teeth were falling out.

***

More Youtube stuff. I’ve found a cool compilation of Chet Baker clips.

I mean, some of my heroes I’ve only seen in still images, you know? To see and hear him play… heck, to SPEAK even… it means a lot to me. He speaks in those smooth, buttery tones you’d expect.

Looks like hell though. This was a man whose substance abuse problems caused him to age awfully, just awfully.

He talks a bit about the incident in California where he was “jumped by five guys” and lost his upper front teeth. Not good for a trumpet player, of course. It took him three years to re-learn to play with a plate and re-emerge on the pro circuit.

***

Maybe these clips are from the Baker documentary Let’s Get Lost. Elvis Costello makes an appearance. Someone really ought to release that on DVD.

***

At Razzoo’s last night were a man who looked a lot like Samuel L. Jackson and a woman who looked a lot like Salma Hayek.

***

Get better, Nadine.

No comments: