Friday, February 10, 2006

Hoo boy, big problem

What a day Thursday was.

***

Kelli called me just as I was about to leave for the chiropractor, saying her car was acting funny. I've seen a couple suspicious things lately, so I wasn't surprised. I figured she had a power steering problem. I postponed my appointment.

So I was calling stores along her route to SMU to see if they had power steering fluid. It was a quick, pinpoint search that found the fluid for me.

She had a test and decided she'd fetch it afterwards.

But a quick check under the hood showed the real problem: The serpentine belt was just hanging loose. Hoo boy, big problem. That doesn't just happen spontaneously, you know?

And it also doesn't get easily rectified in a college parking lot.

(Side note: Whoever designed this car so that an ENGINE MOUNT has to be undone to change the damn belt was... was... something I won't say here. Changing this belt shouldn't be that hard, and prior to owning this car I did it myself.)

***

So I managed to scramble out a wrecker for her and get the car to Jack's Auto Repair. It's walking distance from the house, which has proved mighty convenient a couple times.

Jack had a quick look, and it looks like the pulley that keeps tension on the belt just spontaneously froze up. Maybe the bearings went bad or something. I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound like a horribly expensive repair job.

I scooted out of work early (having worked through lunch anyway), and took the kids home. I changed and headed to school.

***

Dr. Crook is easily one of the three best professors I've ever had. I'd take anything from this guy; Elizabethan basket-weaving, whatever. This multi-cultural class is 100% interesting. It's three hours once a week. A few of us gathered to chat after class, and we agreed that we'd stay four hours or longer in a Crook class if necessary. He's that good.

***

The others:

Dr. Putty, at Brazosport College. Taught, what, comp/rhet II and American Lit maybe? Do you remember, Michael? You'd think I'd remember given how fondly I speak of him. But we had writing assignments to do for him on a regular basis, and he really coached us well. He was excited about writing, and you know, I think I just found a kindred spirit there.

Dr. Schopen, at UT. Taught the History of Indian Buddhism and The History of Asian Religions. Does it sound boring? It was gripping, absolutely gripping. I never missed a class. Brilliant lecturer and a great topic.

***

Happy Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Dr. Putty, unfortunately.

Michael

Anonymous said...

I told you last night, and I'll say it again: You're my knight in shining armor, dear. I was never worried about being stranded in Dallas because you were taking care of everything. Thank you.