Friday, February 10, 2006

Segues, Pinetop et al, HR's Backflip, the Bill, and some Pumpkins

Today’s disturbing Launch segue: From “(We Are) the Road Crew” by Motorhead to “Colour My World” by Chicago.

***

Been digging up stuff at YouTube a lot. How long has this been around? It’s GREAT. This morning I’m watching some amazing Bad Brains clips. There’s live stuff from ’79! Watch a pre-dread HR do a backflip at the end of “At the Movies.” Or their video for “Soul Craft.” Greatness.

***

Today’s great Launch segue: From “Goin’ Down Slow” by Sunnyland Slim to “Murmur Low (aka Big Fat Mama)” by Pinetop Perkins.

Perfect!

***

Pinetop, in fact, is playing in Grapevine, TX (which is near me) one day soon… I think it’s next week. There’s a bill with him, Honeyboy Edwards, Robert Jr Lockwood… And I can set foot in the door for no less than $45.

I’ve seen Pinetop, thankfully. This guy is an old-school Chicago pianist. Played on Muddy’s Hard Again album. I’d love to see Lockwood, but as it turns out, the transition these guys have made from juke joint stalwarts to folk museum pieces put them out of my price range. Shame.

***

459.12 to fix the car. It could have been worse, right? Right? Funny, I don’t feel that… victorious.

***

I’ve been enjoying Gish-era Smashing Pumpkins lately. I really can’t stand anything from after that much, and Billy Corgan’s voice can be grating. But those big, trippy guitar songs, those sounds… Man, Butch Vig can really coax some great sounds.

The latest High on Fire, Blessed Black Wings, is good evidence of that. BIG sound. Huevos tan grandes, man.

***

I love the Pumpkins’ “Drown,” from the Singles soundtrack. It’s about an 11-minute song, and maybe eight of those minutes are comprised of a wailing feedback solo run through a long digital delay. Oooooooh the colors, man.

Really, it sounds like whales mating or something. If the whales were into bondage.

(Jeez, what is IN this coffee?)

***

Current music: “Looking at You” by the MC5

***

I need to go get some food. Ya’ll be good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There were a couple of songs I really liked off of Gish - both singles, if I recall correctly - but all the other songs seemed like variations on those two to me. I still like Siamese Dream, though I rarely listen to it. Got no use for anything after that.

That High On Fire album is pretty great. They're really good at recreating that wall-o-guitar sludge live, too. You can hear them playing from blocks away. No joke.

Michael

Anonymous said...

Uh...OK. Since I don't run in the same music circles you do, the only thing I understood in your last post was the car repair. I'm sure that your musical insights are quite profound, but I'll have to take your word for it. ;-)

Whit

BB said...

Hmm... I will translate for the music-challenged:

ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK!!