Monday, February 06, 2006

“Turn your head and cough please.”

Saw the doc this morning for a physical, and I am happy to report that I didn’t hit the full trifecta on the discomfort scale.

That is:

1. He didn’t give me a prostate exam. Yahoo!
2. The blood draw was painless

I did get the hernia check though.

“Turn your head and cough please.”

“Say, doc, I haven’t had my jewels squeezed like that since I worked for Belo…”

***

Had a fine weekend really, Randy Couture’s heartbreaking loss aside.

Yesterday we did some housecleaning. Being in a clean house makes BB happy.

That evening we took the family out for a dinner with Kelli’s Latin Club. Buca de Beppo serves up fine, fun, but not-cheap Italian. The bread was just great. Her buddies from the club were nice, and the kids never managed to cross the line into obnoxiousness.

***

Out of the blue last night THEBOY asked me if I could build a “monster truck.” Lately I’ve been mulling ways to help teach this child that not everything worth doing/having is a product of instant gratification.

So I offered to buy a model. I tried to explain to him that they’re not like regular toys, and that he’ll have to be gentle with it. We checked out a few at Wal Mart, but the selection wasn’t great. He vacillated between cars, trucks and airplanes.

(He also tried to spin the toy angle and just get me to buy him an air-pressure fueled rocket. No dice, kid).

We'll go to Michael's or someplace like that this evening.

So I’m curious to see how he’ll react to the notion of having to build and paint something that’ll take a while to produce results, and even then will mostly be for admiring and using the imagination. I hope this goes okay.

***

Ya’ll be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The late, great band Gutterball (essentially House of Freaks with Steve Wynn) put an album of outtakes and such called Turnyor Hedinkov. For some reason, I think that's funny.

Michael